Sunday, December 2, 2007

We made it!

We are here!. After a much needed shower, I feel human enough to post. Can you believe I am literally around the world? I don't think it has set in yet.

So flying over New Zealand was straight out of Lord of the Rings. I just lived a travel channel special. Once we landed I felt like it looked like Miami. Expressways with tropical plants all around except THEY DRIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD.


Everything went well through LA. We slept from Knoxville to ATL. We had a slight delay in ATL, and that flight was not so bad either. The LA International Terminal was dodgy and we were there forever. I could lament all day about what a 13 hour flight is like. Pull an averagely comfy chair into a small guest bathroom that has been used with no air circulation. Now stay there and watch movies on a 6 inch screen for about 12 hours. I think you will feel for me.
We ate our dinner and watched a movie then tried to sleep. I think we slept about 4 hours before we gave up. Breakfast was served at 4:30 am New Zealand time and we landed at 6:30ish.
We did good getting through customs. Get this - in the US a German Shepard checks your bag for cocaine, in New Zealand a Beagle checks your bag for produce. I watched him bust a girl with a banana in her purse. He just walked over and stood at the bag and wouldn't pull away until she opened it and gave the customs agent the fruit. The agent then took it to the fruit bin. Once she threw it away, the dog who had been so calm got all excited to get his treat for doing a good job. It was too cute. I have found my next career. I want to be the lady who handles the produce Beagle.

Anyway, I wish you all could have seen the green pastures from above. I promise lots of amazing pictures when we visit the south island.

The parents house is great! I love the green plants. It reminds me of Miami in that the houses are close together and separated by a wall of plants, and the greenery is so varied like Florida.
Check out the view from our window.















Now check out the deck.

















We went to the store, FoodTown, and their major label like our "Kraft" is called Sanitarium. How funny is that? I am bringing back a jar of Sanitarium Peanut Butter. That is if I can it past that darn Beagle.

No comments: