Saturday, December 15, 2007

Day 12: This is the place that invented thrills!

So we get up to go to Shotover Jets (see links in post: South Island Adventure), I had to convince myself that this would be a good idea. It is the only thrill in Queenstown that doesn't involve jumping from something.
So the first time that our boat came mere inches from the cliff face, I decided I was probably going to close my eyes and cry through the whole trip but I didn't at all. It was so much fun! I took some 15 second video clips on my camera and I will get those up so you can see how crazy it is for a boat to spin 360 degrees in one spot. Videos at the end of this post.
Chris and I then went to Arrowtown which is an old gold mining community. Chris panned for gold while I ate the best meat pie ever! If you ever visit Queenstown then you need to drive over to Arrowtown and go to the Postmaster's Deli for a Steak Pie!
As I said in the title of this post, thrills where invented in Queenstwon. The first shotover jets were made of wood, downhill skiing has been going on since the great depression and in 1987 the year of the market crash - AJ Hacket opened the first commercial bungee jump site. Well, with his impending 30th birthday Chris Vogel has added his name to the list of those who have jumped off the Kawarau Bridge.

That's Chris in the next picture!
If your fiance jumped off a bridge, would you do it too? I thought about it but we all know I just would have paid the money to stand up there and cry and run away.
We had a nice dinner after. The most popular pizza here is chicken, cranberry and brie. I had some and it is really good.

No comments: